Friday 20 May 2011

A blog (and a blogger) is born

This blog begins life as a search for genuinely interesting wedding ideas. Weddings can and should be many things – beautiful, ethical, personal – but when I first began reading wedding magazines and going to see venues, I often felt that I was being sold a (very expensive) version of someone else’s day. Sure, I can choose the colour scheme, and I can choose from as many as two or three different menu options, but I felt the essence of the day was already mapped out – there’s just a ‘way it’s done’. And that’s fine, and lovely, but not always my thing. Anyone else ever feel like that? 

Non-white wedding shoes?
When they're this good - definately!

Thing is, I know that there are fabulous, unique and beautiful local producers and craftspeople out there – I come across them all the time. It’s just that whenever I look at ‘bridal’ magazines (or go to fairs, or read books or whatever), all too often I feel I’m being sold someone else’s idea of what a wedding ‘should’ look like. I don’t know about you, but I don’t want just any wedding, however pretty  – I want my wedding – with the same sort of suppliers I love in my everyday ‘real life’ – not a creation of some sort of special ‘wedding me’. 

Slowly, as I’ve looked around, talked to people, and gradually realised (big revelation, this one), that you don’t need to be a ‘wedding supplier’ to supply a wedding, I’ve become more and more inspired – and increasingly excited. Surely, if we love something, someone or indeed  - somewhere – then that’s what we should choose to have around us on our wedding day? That doesn’t seem too crazy an idea to me...


So sweet! From a lovely post
at londoncyclechic.blogspot.com

  So, here we are. What I’m hoping to do with this blog – and only time will tell if it works out as I envisage it at this baby stage – is to celebrate some of the best of our home-grown talent (Edinburgh, Scotland, the UK – who knows?!), and to be inspired to use their ideas to add to the pool of what constitutes ‘wedding material’. Rather less grandly - to source genuinely interesting wedding ideas, and create a space where it’s okay to do things a bit differently, in a way that’s a bit more personal and a bit less ‘bridal’. And to share a few ‘gems’ as and when I come across them, when friends point me in the direction of something a little bit special, and when something makes me a just little bit giddy with excitement.  

The journey begins...

No comments:

Post a Comment